Thursday 11 July 2024

Conversations With Zimbabwe’s National Liberation War Veterans. In Passing


By Takura Zhangazha*

I have had an awkward relationship with War Veterans of Zimbabwe’s liberation struggle. Sometimes in conversations with them, I feel the pain of what they experienced.  From Chimoio, Nyadzonia, through to Mavonde.  
 
I always ask myself if I would have had the courage to take to arms for my country.

I also ask myself if I would have had the courage to understand that a left leaning  labour backed movement had decided that there is also an alternative to what Zimbabwe can be.

But back to war veterans of what was a protracted liberation struggle. 

Like I said I enjoy having conversations with them. Moreso when they outline not only their personal engagements in battle but also when they explain their own dissapointments as to how the struggle turned out. 
  
I always jockingly argue with them that I do not like War Veteran comrades.

  Mainly because when I was really close to cde Dzinashe Machingura and Cde Freedom Nyamubaya, it really hurt when I had to be part of how they were buried.

But this does not change the fact of the importance of the fact that we must respect our own war veterans.  Even as we allege that they were were involved in atrocities in not only 2008 but also as serving members of the military and police during what is now referred to as the Gukurahundi years. 

But I laugh out loud at the fact that I have many Zimbabwean War Veteran friends.   And I am not shy about it.  My  only gripe is the fact that there are to many to always remember and probably bury.

A number of us forget that Zimbabwe came via a liberation struggle.  And it was not easy to fight a guerilla war.  In most instances, those that chose to go to war. Against Rhodesian and British imperialism, chose the high road of sovereignty and independence. 
But these may appear to be abstract observations. 

The key point I would like to make is that we do not respect our War Veterans enough. 
We watch many movies about people fighting in the second world war.  Others in in Iraq, Afghanistan or even Libya and we imagine that there are specific harbingers of war and force globally that are based in the global north. 

In reality, and with history and memory we are reminded of our own arduous struggles’ against imperialism and colonialism.  Particularly as Africans.

It is however awkward to have to remind Zimbabwean comrades that we fought a liberation struggle to free ourselves.
History cannot and should never be wished away.

But lets go back to the key  point about being a friend to War Veterans.  I have a brother who was a war veteran.  

His name was Cde Tito.  He is buried at Harare’s provincial heroes acre.  He fought in the liberation struggle.

I have another brother Kenny Zhangazha, who is also a war veteran.  He is still alive. 

But the issue is why would I ask about his struggle history?  There are those that I meet and ask where they were.  I will not mention their names. But indeed they mention Chimoio, Mavonde and Nyadzonyia.

And in any event it remains abstract.  I am an avid believer in war veterans.  By this, to be clear, I mean people who fought for the freedom of Zimbabwe.  Whatever they did after our national independence in 1980 is their business to discuss. 

What I know is that there was a liberation struggle waged. It produced independence however ambiguous it became.  But in reality we became free.

As a general rule, I do not question war veterans of Zimbabwes liberation  struggle.  No matter how you spin it.  These are cdes who fought a protracted war for national liberation in different respects and different areas. And these are cdes who eventually won the war.

If anyone is a genuine war veteran.  A cde who fought in the struggle, I will always listen to whatever they say,  even if I disagree with it.  I have never faced death for freedom.  I just do not want to continue to have war veterans as my friends.

It was cde Dzino.  Then it was cde Freedom.  And some of their key cdes were not there.   It hurts me deeply.  But it is what it is. 
It is an abstract observation. 
But I am worried about how many War Veterans I have buried.  And what I had to say at Dzinashe Machingura’s funeral. 

No comments:

Post a Comment